Saturday, July 25, 2009

W. Somerset Maugham

Today I've firmly planted my butt in a chair and I'm trying to write about Gloria Swanson. The article is due on the 1st. It's about her career as a producer in the late 1920s. Swanson produced and starred in an adaptation of W. Somerset Maugham's short story, "Sadie Thompson." Consequently, I've been reading about W. Somerset Maugham too.

I came upon a quote by Maugham that made me realize he too felt the way I often do, "I have most loved people who cared little or nothing for me and when people have loved me I have been embarrassed... In order not to hurt their feelings, I have often acted a passion I did not feel."

Sigh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie Buck. This is COMPLETELY random but I am the guy from near-Rochester that you gave a ride to, to Boston, in 2005. My name is Luke.

I lost your email, and I tried looking you up in facebook but there are a lot of Julie bucks and I'm honestly not that facebook savvy. I'm tired and haven't much internet time so I've resorted to reaching out through your blog. (I remembered by virtue of the catchy pun.)

Anyhoo, I'll be landing in NYC with my GF on September 1 and spending some time with my aspiring-documentarian brother who lives in NYC. Would you like to get some coffee?

luke.reynolds@gmail.com

Jo Schaffer said...

His book, Of Human Bondage rocks.
http://jostorm.blogspot.com/