Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Making short films

This coming October I graduate from Columbia.  By the time I am finished, I will have produced four thesis films and co-produced an additional thesis.  Considering most of my classmates only produce one film for graduation, this is a pretty significant number.

Making these films has taught me all sorts of things.  For instance, don't work with crazy people.  Find funding before you start.  Learn the language before you produce a film in a foreign country.  Work with the same crew of people you trust.  It has also taught me to get a thicker skin.  People aren't always going to like me.  That one was hard for me, because growing up I was always well liked.  And graduate school is strangely like the real world when it comes to playing favorites.  I have been often frustrated by the fact that I work harder as a producer than any other student, but am rarely given any accolades.  In the last year alone I have produced three films out of town (one in Bolivia!), but when the producing awards are announced next week, I am fairly certain I will not be on that list.  I could say it won't be like that once I graduate, but I look around me and see that is just how it is...people hire people they know or people they like, not necessarily people who are best for the job.

Maybe I am just a little down on myself at the moment.  I seem to be struggling with being able to keep up with my friends.  Keeping up with the navigation of social media.  Keeping up with website (which has been down for nearly 8 months). And worse yet, I still don't have a job and I desperately need one.  So, if any of you out there know of a job for a film producer (hey, I can UPM or line produce too) or of a programming job (cause I'm thinking about going back into programming), please let me know.  I'm pretty desperate.

2 comments:

Jo Schaffer said...

Interesting...you line produce? Very interesting. You staying back east or heading west?

http://jostorm.blogspot.com/

A Crone's Life said...

I'll keep my ears to the ground and eyes peeled and any other sensory organ that might work, if it will help you. Hang in there. And don't drink too much. IT's going around...