Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Disappointing movies and the Countess



Yesterday I went to see Prairie Home Companion. I like Robert Altman. I like the NPR radio show it's based on. I like Meryl Streep. However, this movie, well...it's not so good. In fact, it's a mess on the order of Dr. T and the Women, rather than a brilliant piece of filmmaking like Nashville. Garrison Keillor is stiff. Kevin Kline's role is unnecessary. Lindsay Lohan (who I actually like) feels like a typical teenaged caricature. And as I sat in the Harvard Square Cinema, eating my Raisinettes, I looked up at the theatre's clock that has never worked and thought, this is probably the last time I will ever go to this theatre and I wasted my time watching this?

One of my favorite things about working at the theatre at the Harvard Film was the Countess. Ah yes, those of you who've been to the HFA know who I am talking about. The Countess is probably in her early 70s. She rides a bike (sometimes in a bikini). She saves plastic bags (which she likes to sort loudly in the movies). She kicks people in the head jumping over the seats in the theatre (which is how she got banned from the HFA). We call her the Countess, because that is how she introduces herself.

Yesterday I got a card from Mary Kenny. Do you know who was on the cover? The Countess! This picture is going permanently on my bulletin board, because she is my favorite crazy street person in Boston.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... where's this picture?

Soozcat said...

I second that. I've been curious to see the Countess for some time now.

Anonymous said...

Yay!