Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Movies and Walking

Sometimes, when I'm sad, I walk. It gives me time to think, time to figure out what I am going to do for the next couple of days or weeks or months. Today I walked four and a half miles. Not endless walking, mind you, but destination walking--walking home from a friend's house who lives a town away, or walking to the indie movie house, where I get to go to the movies for free. But nothing was really resolved...

I am giving up my apartment at the end of the month in an effort to save money. I plan on putting my stuff in storage and couch surfing for two months. I still don't know about where I'll be living in New York, I still haven't figured out my financial situation (like paying for tuition), everything feels so horribly arbitrary. I wonder if my life will ever be stable again?

This week I am going to the Newport Film Festival to head the panel for student (high school) judges. The folks who run the festival like to refer to me as the teen camp film counselor. Perhaps that's what I am. Regardless, I am looking forward to getting out of town and seeing a bunch of movies. And Newport is lovely and not yet overcrowded in early June (though maybe it will be since I've never been to Newport during the festival).

Maybe I'll see something that will move me. Change the way I think forever. Mend my aching heart.

1 comment:

Chesno Slova said...

I should have you come and do some "walking" with me for work Julie. It would be in south-central Utah across some crazy terrain and we don't get back to the truck sometimes in 8+ hours, but you have plenty of time to think!

You're pretty adventurous to couch-hop for that long. I like to know where I will be sleeping that night whether it be at home in bed, on the ground somewhere or in the cab of my truck en route to Baghdad. At least I know where I will be.

Hang in there. Everything will work out, and to give you something to look forward to, I sent you mail yesterday. Look for its arrival soon!