Thursday, June 25, 2009

I am a Producer

I came to school to produce movies. People have always laughed about this fact because who goes to grad school for film to be a producer? Well...I do.

While Columbia has been rough (even if I become a billionaire, I swear I will NOT be "giving back") I have discovered my true talents here. I am an artist. I like making collages (see recent collage below...I just finished last night!) and drawing pictures and getting paid to do graphic design. I am a writer. I love writing short stories and scholarly film articles on everything from women screenwriters of the silent era to the pedophilia aspects of Edward in the Twilight series. Columbia has helped me what my talents are not. I don't particularly like writing screenplays. And I am still far more interested in making experimental films than narrative Hollywood/indie crap...



That's not fair. I am a producer of narrative short films. I try to do a good job for my classmates, but I can only work on the film if I like their script. And it helps if I like them too I suppose...I think I must be doing a good job of picking people to work with because the next three upcoming films I'll be working on have all been fully funded by outside organizations. I helped write the grants, so I feel very proud. It takes a lot of work to get a film funded. We received 25 grant rejection letters for LOOP PLANES, before being funded by Killer Films. The Sloan Foundation generally supports one film per year for $20,000, but this year decided to fund two! UNCANNY VALLEY and TERREBONE! And I happen to be attached to both films! So for those of you who say there is no funding in the world, I say KEEP LOOKING!!! And now I am heading off to my next pre-production meeting...

No comments: