Sunday, June 28, 2009

Driving with Michael Jackson

I sing in the car. I can't help it. Never, never when someone else is in the car with me...but almost always when I'm alone.

As everyone in the entire world knows, Michael Jackson died the day before yesterday. Already I've seen kids in my neighborhood wearing Michael Jackson 1958-2009 t-shirts! What is amazing about Michael Jackson is that for all of his weirdness in the last few years, his talent has never been questioned. There are at least three different stations in New York that are playing all Michael all weekend.

This afternoon I randomly happened to be driving a car, stuck in traffic on the west side highway. I was listening to an "All Michael All Weekend" station, singing along to P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing), when I started to feel self-conscious because people in stopped traffic tend to look around...and a number of people were looking at me! Finally the traffic picked up. At the next light, Thriller came on. I was enjoying the Vincent Price section when something caught my out the rear view mirror. The two women in the truck behind me were dancing in the car, the exact beat to Thriller! And then they were singing along! Lip sinking the the music in my car! And I realized they were listening to the same station as I was....and so was the guy on my left. So I shrugged and thought, what would Michael do? And though the Michael in my head would be moonwalking, which didn't seem like an option since I was driving, I had to settle with singing Thriller at the top of my lungs along with everyone else in the world...or at least on the west side highway.

So, here is to you Michael Jackson...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

2 comments:

Soozcat said...

That's a great story. It reminds me of someone who once leaned out the window of the Big White Kidnapper Van and sang, "I have confidence that SPRING will come aGAIN!" along with Julie Andrews.

Soozcat said...

Oh, and also:

Jam
Jam
Here comes da man
Hot damn!
The big boy stands
Movin' up a hand
Makin' funky tracks with
My man Michael Jackson
Smooth Criminal, that's the man
Mike's so relaxed

Mingle mingle
Jingle in the jungle
Bum rushed the door
3 and 4s in a bundle
Execute the plan
First I cooled like a fan
Got with Janet, then with Guy
Now with Michael
Cause it ain't hard to
Jam

This public service announcement has been brought to you by Master Dwight Errington Myers. That is all.